Sunday, October 17, 2010

Generations

This past summer the kids got to meet their great grandma. Tristan had met her when he was younger, but doesn't remember. The trip to NY was long, but well worth it. I snapped these pictures with my cell phone when the boys and I were spending some time with Grandma. She is in her 80s but so spry. I admire her greatly. She is a very independent woman. When I looked at her I could see my mother's face. That was hard in many ways but most of all to realize what could have been had mom stayed here to experience life. I am thankful to at least have Grandma left, she is the only tie to my childhood besides my sister. She reminds me so much of my mother and in some ways pieces and parts of me. That is the beauty of the generations, they allow you to see not only where you've been but in some ways where you may be going. I only hope that I am as healthy and able as she is when I reach her age. For a grandma that only had 2 granddaughters, she is sure getting her share of boys with our gang!











When I think of my grandma I think of brightly colored shirts--always with pockets to hold lots of things for us when we were little---bright lipstick, cookies in the cookie drawer, and a laugh that could always make you smile. She worked outside the home when it was not common for a woman to do so. Yet I never saw my grandma drive a car. Someone always drove grandma whether it was grandpa or my own folks. I hope that the trip this Summer gave my boys some memories of her that they can cherish. I also hope that we can make the trip again. There are many stories to still be told and many photos to still take.

No comments: