Sunday, April 5, 2009

Strep....Again!

I think there is an unwritten rule somewhere that says when Jim is out of town, someone must get sick or something must break. That's my theory anyhow :) About 4:30 Sat. a.m. Tristan woke up crying and pretty much did not stop until we left the house around 7:30 to get to the pediatrician's. I felt so bad for him. I had given him everything I could possibly give him to relieve his ear pain, but nothing seemed to help. I also had them do a throat culture on Collin because he had been complaining on and off about his throat and stomach hurting. Sure enough, he was positive too. I also asked them about Nathan because I was concerned he would get it again too (I was surprised they didn't suggest this) and they did an overnight throat culture on him. Just this past Monday they had looked at all the children and declared them well. $200 in co-pays later, I'm praying that this new round of antibiotics does the trick. When we got home from the Dr. Saturday (after making three different stops at pharmacies trying to find the medicine they prescribed for Collin), poor Tristan's ear looked horrible. I took a picture to share with his Daddy and I will post here, but will warn you if you have a weak stomach, be warned! His eardrum ruptured on the way home. He woke up briefly to cry now and then, but pretty much passed out on the way home. This is what his ear looked like when we got out of the van:



Tristan slept most of the day on Saturday and when he woke up, he slowly started to feel better. His other ear drum ruptured but I honestly think it brought him relief. The others were full of energy (even though they each have their own ailments) so we played and tried to enjoy the nice weather. Sunday morning the pediatrician's office called to say Nathan's culture was positive for strep (surprise surprise). They planned to call in the same medicine as they did for Collin until I told them that 3 pharmacies did not carry it yesterday and the one that did was not open on Sunday. So, they called in something different for Nate. Luckily, it was a a store that offers a drive thru which is a blessing when you have 4 small sick children with you! We had to stay home from church because Nathan was still contagious. Luckily Dalton was already on his 2nd round of antibiotics for his ear infection so they assure me he is safe.

I do feel like a nurse lately. I was a little freaked out this evening when I realized that I am only suppose to give Tristan his meds once a day, and I cannot remember but think I gave it to him twice yesterday. Jim assured me he is still alive so we shouldn't worry, but it bothered me as I try to be so careful with their meds. Three get theirs once a day now, and one twice a day. Plus Tristan is to get eardrops for his eardrums. The Davis pharmacy is open again! :)

Daddy is suppose to be home tomorrow and I know we will all be glad to see him. At least we should be healthy for Easter!

1 comment:

Annette said...

and this too shall pass